Killer Kat (Build Pics Updated)

Ozpulse replied the topic: Re: Killer Kat

If washing machine servos can be wired to suit the reciever plug it should work just run a Y harness to supply the power needed, being proportional control it should turn at the same speed as you do at the reciever! If not program your controller for slower travel? :huh:

Remember that a 125cc rigger will probably be big enough to ride like a kneeler jet-ski! :woohoo:
Steering uni and 2 piece solid shaft, modded small outboard prop! :laugh:

Just have to hold tight on the 8G corners! :side: :woohoo:

Awwwww! Your little engine is sooooo cute!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moofy07 replied the topic: Re: Killer Kat

Hi Oz,
Thanks for the imput. Washing machine servos, which I will now call WMS for ease of writing, are quick as I said, but the easiest way around the speed is to use heavier springs on the carby and rudder, that will slow them down. I would not worry too much on the carby as the Tillotsons are made to be snapped open and shut.
Your right about the ride on part but I cannot see me riding it as I am an incredibly skinny, ;) 98 kilos or about 205 pounds in foreign currency. :woohoo: Just a tad too heavy, :dry: (everyone else says overweight) :angry:
Moofy
PS. Are our boats starting to outgrow our own physical dimensions. It could well turn out like those poor aeroplane guys and have to have a trailer just for one boat and not the usual trailer for all our boats and STUFF. I know we are just going out on a tangent with the big toys.
Moofy

Woodie replied the topic: Re: Killer Kat

Hi Isuzu.

Your project really impresses me and it's a bit scaring to me also...

But I just don't understand why you americans and aussies almost allways build a perfectly fine mould just to make a glassed version of it.
Why not take your time to finish the build ind wood? (Quality plywood and quality time). You can get this from a thickness about 1,2 milimeters and thicker. Birch plywood is recommended, as it is very strong and bendable.
It really is incredible strong and much lighter than (toxic) glassing. The "woodwork" will take more time at first, but you will save time with glassing - and most important: It WILL be cheaper!
If you want the "glassy" finish, do as I intend to do: Apply a layer of resin on it, sand down to perfect smoothness and then spray as you use to to.
You get a boat, that is just as strong and very light. And you will never know the difference by the looks.
Bottom line for me is that building a mould and then throwing it away is double work for a result, that often will be less.
Guess that has something to do with my own pride as a former boatbuilder about building wooden boats. :unsure:

Anyway. "Killer Kat"? What sort of name for a MGB is that? :ohmy:
Now I have to consider if "Mjoelner" will be right for my mono, or if I just should name it "Kat Killer" instead. :woohoo:

And now I'm off to clean up the mess in my workshop. NO WAY that I'll let Ozzie take care of it for me! :laugh:

Cheers! :cheer:

Woodie.

BTW, Isuzu. I noticed that the numbered profiles on your cat are marked "spant". This is precisely the term in danish. Is it also the english term?

isuzudude replied the topic: Re: Killer Kat

Hey Woodie, First... I'm not doing the mould to "REPLACE" the wood build. That boat will be completely finished and is the one I will joust with against you. The FRP is secondary (if at all) to the original build, just to see if I could it. "Spant" is what was on the original plans... That is the part you had a question about, that's what I refer to as the "formers". Like I did on my 80" Beachcomber... I coated it with glass resin (no matting) sanded it and painted. I don't intead on reinventing the wheel. If I do decide to lay one up, my Kat will be complete all the way to a fine gelcoat finish. It is alot of work, and I doubt I'll do it, because I have a list already of other boats I want to do. P.S. Thanks for the compliment, but what makes it scarey, the size or the power plants?

Isuzu.

Nice to hear that you will make your build in wood, even if it makes your cat lighter and harder to compete against. :angry:

I really not sure about what scares me the most. Size or power?
That depends.
Size and power has to be in tune.
In my boat I expect a weight to power ratio of 1:1. Just as in Formula One racecars. (Weight measured in kilos and power in hp's).
So in my case i go for a mono about 14 kilos and 14 hp. But as my boat will be only 12" wide the real challenge for me will be to avoid "wobbeling" on a straight course in rough waters. I hope to solve that with the right strakes and maybe a pair of trim tabs if needed.

But before you compare these (uncomparable) boats, you also have to consider the dynamic force and resistance too, which should set a cat a bit back considering the construction. (Water friction and aerodynamics).

So the challenge is still up. :laugh:

Cheers!

Where I'm at a loss is.... I've never messed with a cat before :dry: So I'm going to be facing a huge learning curve. As far as set up, I have a basic idea of where to start, but propping and balance issues I believe is where I'm going to run into problems :angry: I'm not sure if the 30-35 percent rule will still be effective, do to size increase, do I need to move it back... move it forward... I don't know. I'm open to any and ALL suggestions! I know there's alot of CAT runners out there, I just hope they'll chime in and point me in the right direction. In essence, I'll be jousting against you and your engineer, but i will by no means go down without scratching and biting (that's a little Kat humor) I have a feeling we will both know that we went through a battle. B) I've been doing a little research about cats in my spare time, but there's just nothing there! The balance and propping all depends on the build, there's no exact science for it. That's why I at least need a base line to start from. Scott gave me some really good advise on how to get my balance right on my Shockwave, But propping an inline twin is totally GREEK to me.

Isuzu.

We are both at scratch. Thats the exiting thing about this.
For my part (and my son, the engineer) we too have no idea about anything about balance and a 100 other things. We just do it! :woohoo:

But now it's time for checking up my workshop for the weekend. It's time for me to get at the build, to show some advance in the "Cigarette" thread - just to avoid that people begin to think that all my action is just talk. :laugh:

So I'm outta here and in the workshop now. It's night (danish time: 02:45 AM), and I have to stand ready with tea and toast for Wifey at 05:45. :dry:

Wishing you luck with your cat!
C U later.

Cheers! :cheer:

Woodie.

Hey Woodie... We have to keep that phrase alive...JUST DO IT!!! I too, wish ya the best of luck... THIS IS GOING TO BE A BLAST!!!!!!!!

Ozpulse replied the topic: Re: Killer Kat

Well all Im gonna say is.......
I found a FREE supply,
of MARINE GRADE PLY!
Hehehehehe! :woohoo:

Awwwww! Your little engine is sooooo cute!

Alright now.... You could have kept that little bit of info to yourself, you lucky DOG!!!! :angry: But that's is cool!!! B)

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.