My smokin' Cigarette.

Woodie replied the topic: Re:My smokin' Cigarette.

Thanks to you all for the replyes. I feel very honoured.

The boat is meant to be a One-Off inspired by the Cigarette-Type, but still of my own design. Not a scale model.
Fx. there will be no open cockpit, as the heavvy Blata engine needs a "deckhouse" for the top of the engine.

Weigth is no question for me as i want a boat for rough waters with no flimsiness in the action. The Blata engine should provide more than efficient power for that. (I consider naming the boat "Overkill") :)

Right now the next step is planing, sanding and correcting profiles and stern before gluing the sides on.

I promise pics and reports, but please be patient. Right now we are hit by a heatwave in my area, and I am busy sweating by the fan. :(

Cheers!

Woodie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This is really the phase of small steps.
The keel and bottom chine seems to be shaped fine. Now comes the real three dimensional challenge for me: To create a beautiful line along the deck from aft to stern. I have no construction drawings. Only thing that does the job will be a lot of (very) carefull assessments combined with lots of carefull planing and sanding of the profiles untill my eye is satisfied.
This will take some time, because once I get to glueing the sides on the boat, there is no way back. It HAS to look as a million $$.
(And I dont accept much less than perfect results - failure is no option. It just puts extra wood in the stove) :S

I put a few pics in where the boat is turned over and the "stabilizing board" is removed. Some planing and sanding has allready been done.
The weight, as shown on the pics is 4.125 grammes. In respect of that, I expect to be able to keep the total weight of the complete hull well below 5.000 grammes. Maybe even about 4- 4.500 grammes?

Wish me luck, guys. :)
And PLEASE remember: Any advice is welcome anytime. I AM THE BEGINNER!

Lohring: Your pics of the real cigarette is very inspiring for me. Especially about how to place the bottom strakes. Thanks!

Cheers!

Woodie.

Attachments:

ridgerunner replied the topic: Re:My smokin' Cigarette.

Hi Woodie,Your boat is looking good.Building out of wood is hard work,but a lot of fun.You mentioned putting a Blata engine in her.I have been working on a 54" x 12 " fiberglass hull and it has been a tight squeeze to put a 25cc Homelite in there,as the hull gets narrower where the engine sits.I had to make my own header out of 3/4" plumbing fittings and get a really short 12" long tuned pipe to keep my system in the hull and still get a pipe setting.There wasn't enough room for a deep vee header in there as well as no room for a fuel tank or IV bag on the side .I put an IV bag just forward of the engine.I imagine a Blata takes up a lot more space than the Homelite.Also don't forget to put some strakes on the bottom of the hull.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dayhoffchuck

Hi Ridgerunner.

Thanks for the pics. What a tough sweetie by the looks. How fast is she?

About the Blata I truly have some concerns about size (not weight), so if anyone could help me with the dimensions, I can prepare the boat for the engine even before buying the engine. They should have a 6 hp, an 11 hp (39cc) and an upcoming 16 hp - all watercooled and made for model gas boats.
Maybe you, or someone else can link me to some helpful informative page about Blatas?

Cheers!

Woodie.

lohring replied the topic: Re:My smokin' Cigarette.

A little off topic, but Mike posted some pictures of Dry Martini on youtube.

Lohring Miller

WOW!

The Dry Martini is hot! Shows just about what I am going at with my own little project. Lots of power and a hull, that takes more than flat sunday ponds.
Thx so much for that beautiful link. Cannot tell U what the sound of those engines did to me without being expelled from this thread. :laugh:

Cheers!

Woodie.

Zitch replied the topic: Re:My smokin' Cigarette.

Hi Woodie!

Your hull is really huge, respect to your big wish!
I think you can seek an engine at MHZ, Germany.

www.mhz-powerboats.com/shop/shop.htm

look at engines page, you can find a sizes in inches

also you can see google )

good luck!

Sergey

lohring replied the topic: Re:My smokin' Cigarette.

I have the exact same feeling. It's when you pull up to the gas pump only to find out that the pumps only register to $500 and the tanks aren't full that reality sinks in.

Lohring Miller

Hi Sergey.

Thx for reply.

I found that german site myself too, and asked them for some catalogue or folder showing the Blata with exact measurements. But they could not provide this due to "changes in the stock". (!)
I know that the site provides (some) measurements. But not the most important for me, which is about the motor mounts. Showing the with and the distance between bolts + diameter of bolts.
If I had this, I would be more able to build the boat ready for mounting the engine, as I am not able to pay for the engine right now.
Anyway, I still look for the precise dimensions of this Blata.
If possible in any way, I will smack it into the boat with a sledgehammer. :)

By the way: The germans wrote to me about an upcoming 16 hp Blata coming to the market in september or october this year. (Wonder about price and size).
This engine is for real, but I think a 10-11 hp Blata allready is a kind of overkill in a 56" boat. :blink:

"All I want to do, is to kill Zenoah competitioners". :laugh:

Cheers,

Woodie.

Lohring.

Ha ha!

I get the point.
But dont worry. I will buy my own gas station before investing in the Blata. :laugh:

Cheers!

Woodie.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.