Canopy Cowl for Apache

Rysquedases created the topic: Canopy Cowl for Apache

Here is a shoreline Protege cowl I stretched, widened and modified for Apache deck to see if it can pull more heat out of the engine bay. Plug is done and hope to have the mold done soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rysquedases replied the topic: Canopy Cowl for Apache

Not sure what the exclamation point on the thread means but I'm almost done. One more lam schedule and I'm popping this hatch.

Done.
Attachments:

Snap crackle pop!

Attachments:

martno1fan replied the topic: Canopy Cowl for Apache

Cowl looks good but why are you having problem getting heat out of the Apache hatch thats the easy part,its getting air in at the right place thats the tricky part,a few ways you can do it other than putting naca ducts on the deck which i dont like on the Apache.Just have to remember the rule 3 x out to 1 in and your good.
Mart

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rysquedases

The main reason was to eliminate drivers and be a legal to race. The surface of the canopy hatch runs flat with the wind shield and the hope is that the wind drag over the surface of the venturi style duct pulls the air from behind the engine and the pipe area. The opening on the port canopy will direct air to the front of the engine and exhaust . This hatch is a bit more structural and and a lighter lay up is possible.

I really like the original hatch but something needs to be done about the weak spot behind the bolster seats. Need a stringer design the bolster to bridge to rear box intakes. The racers hear slam them up good.

Enrique

I
Attachments:

For strength i allways make mine now using a layer of mat then cloth ,i dont make them in mat alone anymore.Lay them up with cloth and theyre very strong especially if you use carbon kevlar which is a dream to work with,it drapes so niceley and goes into all the contours pretty well,i only needed to make a cpl small cuts here there to do this canopy in one piece.
Attachments:

Nice lay up their Mr. Mart .

Motorboater replied the topic: Canopy Cowl for Apache

Nice work everyone ;)
I'm a fan of the cloth aswell. You don't need nearly half as much resin to wet it out and it certainly is much stronger. I alternated mat and cloth when making mine (mat/cloth, mat/cloth, mat/cloth). For us non racer sport boating guy's, polyester and gelcoat are more than capable of serving our needs for many years. Great work people, good to see.

Thanks guys,ive been manufacturing my hulls for 5 years now on a part time basis and theyre used by racers and sports boaters alike.I allways do matt first then cloth,thats it one layer of each,im using 450 g biaxial cloth over 400 g csm,if im using carb kev then i use 380 g over the csm.They come out nice and strong,i like the csm as it adheres better to the gelcoat,this reduces any cracking over time.Its all done wet on wet to save on resin.
Mart
heres a cpl pics of my Apache and Apache Arrow racing.latter was taken in Trinidad on her way to a win in her first race,customer sent me the pic.

Attachments:

I forgot to say if you like hand layups try vinylester resin over your gelcoats its very strong like epoxy but easy to use in hand layups.
Mart

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.