new mono drive

Andre Abtmeyer created the topic: new mono drive

First weekend of june our club will attend to a 24 hours race bear Paris, France. One team, one boat, maximum of 8 drivers and 24 hours of racing... a different kind of marathon... We try to collect money for a foundation that helps children and her parents when children have cancer. It is called "KIKA".

Marc W. has built the hull, his Lancer55. We got some parts from different sponsors and team members like hardware, radio boxes, tanks, RC equipment and many more.

My part is to build the drives (yes, drives, we want to have all parts double as spare parts) and modify the engines.

So my first part is finished. This is teh new stinger drive, KIKA edition:

It is a beefy drive with an integrated propshaft saver. Loosen one screw and you can remove the complete bearing block, including propshaft and cable. I will make some more of the bearing blocks so we can change the driveline very easy during the race.
Using of a long MTC prop shaft allows the use of 4 teflone lead bearings inside. All Screws are M5. Stuffing tube ends inside of the stinger.

This drive is the result of many different drives I have collected over the years. Tried to use the best of each, Bob DeCortin, M&D and my own, early design from my old Wavefighter.
The overall length is 110mm, without propshaft.

Some more pics are here: www.andrenalin.de/pictures/kika-drive/index.html

Now I will finish the first test engine for the boat. It will be ready for Eersel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

marc replied the topic: Re: new mono drive

Awesome work as always Andre!!!! I like the design!

Modelgasboats.com - Home of the WARPATH Riggers!

Follow Modelgasboats.com on FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE
"

wufflessbwoy replied the topic: Re: new mono drive

That is a very nice drive. Definately ya great combination.you are a machining master. Great Job. How much? LOL!!

Scott replied the topic: Re: new mono drive

Andre,
Very simple design you guys have come up with, looks really nice as well :woohoo:

*So what engine size/type you guys limited to, or choosing to use for this endurance racing ?

2 stroke Engine Tech of 30+ years, Prop tweeker, Chronic tinkerholic, Home of Motor Heads RC Racing Engines ...
8 time NAMBA National 6 lap heat racing record holder.

Craig Dickson replied the topic: Re: new mono drive

Hi Andre

I get one hell of a kick out of seeing top quality engineering.

Your images gave me that kick.

Simply fantastic.

Regards
Craig

Andre Abtmeyer replied the topic: Re: new mono drive

Thanks guys.

I never thought that there is so much work in such a drive. I spent many hours on the milling machine and lathe to make them. With a CNC it would be much easier but so I have to think always twice before doing the next step. Hardest part was the mounting plate. It is made of a solid block. And after hours of milling you have tons of chips...

Scott,
I am not sure about the exact rules, Marc W. knows them. But I think we are limited to 27cc. The boat is heavy, 2.5 liters of fuel, a solid hull and interior. And the engine should be good for 24 hours of racing. You can change everything during the race. But not the engine (only if it is broken...). The test engine will be a Zenoah with a 1mm stroker crank and a torque setup. Thinking about 178 exhaust timing, maybe 176.

marc replied the topic: Re: new mono drive

Andre, do you remember this one I did a few years back?

www.modelgasboats.com/Magazine...t/Custom_Drive/

Not nearly as nice as yours, but nonetheless I made it... and with a Taig mini lathe/mill at that! :) I too was surprised at how much work it was to make one! Then you really don't mind paying the $60 for a drive if a commercial unit will work for your application! :laugh: :laugh:

I have to admit though, really is awesome to make your own when it's a success. :)

I must have turned those little wheels 10000 turns to make this drive! ha ha!!!

Modelgasboats.com - Home of the WARPATH Riggers!

Follow Modelgasboats.com on FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE
"

Andre Abtmeyer replied the topic: Re: new mono drive

Not as nice as mine??? You are kidding :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's a great work, Marc. And in fact of making it on the mini lathe/milling combo it is awesome. And taking pics during each step of the making costs you also some hours...

After the race my spare drive will be used for my new mono. I will build the Lancer55 from Marc W. with a twin inline. So I have to build rudder and trim tabs to match this rudder. :silly:

Davidk563 replied the topic: new mono drive

is this available for purchase ? Thank you

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.