45" Mono Revival

strictlybusiness1 replied the topic: 45" Mono Revival

"VERY IMPRESSIVE" work that shows what can be done by a "BUILDER" instead of purchasing stuff & screwing it together. I take my hat off to your efforts thus far! Be sure to keep us posted on your progress. Thank you!

Jim Allen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

AARONHL replied the topic: 45" Mono Revival

Very nice to see the top completed- did you paint the red/orange with a compressor or can? I feel I am lacking in my wood and fiberglassing because I don't have a compressor

dwr9 replied the topic: 45" Mono Revival

The boat looks great! Doug

Rysquedases replied the topic: 45" Mono Revival

Not bad. You would have paid over 1200.00 for a deck and hull mold plus a boat. Well done but you have played with composites before. LOL. Keep it going your on a roll!

Motorboater replied the topic: 45" Mono Revival

Thanks guy's. I'm a few steps ahead of the thread and am digging up pics as I go.
With the deck mould & part done, I started giving some thoughts to fitting out everything else. After searching forums
for answers, it looked like everyone one was using 1/4 to 1/2" ply for their engine rails. I found some 9mm marine ply
at Bunnings, so went with that.
With the rails in it was time to start thinking about CG's, and radio boxes etc...
29% seemed to be a good starting point for a stock Zen motor.
I stuffed everything into the hull that'd finally be in there to get the hulls final weight, and found that the T-bar I wanted to run wouldn't allow the motor back far enough back to achieve my 29%. I ended up soldering some brass tube together as a T-bar instead. The collet has more clearance than is in the pic. It worked well.
I didn't join the deck to the hull until very last, so I'd have more room to work on things. It was going to get joined with urethane anyway, not glass.

Once the motor was fixed down and the shaft tube all sorted, I started on the radio box. I went with an enforcer box, grommets and antenna tube, so only needed to make another tray of my own to place things where I wanted them. I'm not running an on/off switch, so just unplug when it's out of the water.

gabe3366 replied the topic: 45" Mono Revival

Great looking boat, it looks professionally made. I also like that t-bar you made, do you have anymore pictures of it? What type of fittings did you use? Would be perfect for my scratch build.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorboater

I did use a compressor to paint with yes. The only thing I used it for with the glass, was when spraying release agent. It's only a cheapo 3/4hp hobby compressor, but I get by with it.

Just K&S brass tubing. I've lost an SD card somewhere, I'm sure I had a heap more pics somewhere.
I remember when I got the enforcer T-bar, my shaft tube wasn't a tight fit in the bar. So I would've had to sleeve it to make it work, that's how I ended up with some 3/8 (I think) tubing left over to make the one you see out of. The part in the circle, is just a brass washer soldered on with a nutsert in it (you could solder a brass nut in there or whatever else I guess). The part in the triangle is a sleeve so that if I damage the shaft I can slide it out of the bar if need be. I just held the tubing on my dremel grinding stone to get a nice curve to solder to the sleeve. Regular 60/40 solder and flux was used with a pencil torch after a good scuff and acetone wipe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gabe3366

I put in the pool noodles before the deck went on aswell. Don't worry about the water line plumbing in the muffler flange in this shot. I changed it around once I learned the whole thermosyphon thing after wondering why the motor cooling inlet was lower than the outlet :P .

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.