48" Deep Vee

tekne10 replied the topic: Re: 48" Deep Vee

Thank Doug. I really like this boat.

I was also wondering if it would work if I scale down everything by the same amount?
I wanna power it with a electric brushless motor and 48" would be too big?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Woodie replied the topic: Re: 48" Deep Vee

Hi Tekne.

If a boat runs well, you can scale it to any size you want. Just keep the Center Of Gravity (COG) in the same place.
But why scale a 48" (light) boat like this down to run it electric? Many electric boats are in this size, but surely it depends on the engine power.
Anyway electricity and water does not go well together, so make sure to have a perfectly watertight hood on the boat - or else.... :(
Or in other words: Why go electric, when gas is so much more fun?

Cheers and good luck! :cheer:
Woodie.

dwr9 replied the topic: Re: 48" Deep Vee

It has been scaled down and electric powered before by a couple people. Doug

HAHA you are right gas power is much more fun, I always had gas powered cars&boats, this will be my first electric, I actually was able to scale it down to 30". I know its small BUT with the waterproof electronics I am putting in I am hoping that it will go around 50mph.

I actually dont know where the center of gravity was on the 48" model, could you guys tell me?

I'll try to post pictures if you guys would be interested:)

Hey guys here are some pics, its made from balsa and is laser cur.
it looks pretty good for now, i'll try to keep posting new pics.

Can any one tell me were the center of gravity should be?

Thank you,
Dan
Attachments:

ob one replied the topic: 48" Deep Vee

Hi,
I notice from Doug's excellent pictures that he formed the hull's vee bottom before fixing to the bulkheads. Is this normal practice and to be recommended?
By the way my previous comments about the cost of model boating now look a little premature since I started looking at the cost of petrol powered IC engines!

dwr9 replied the topic: Re: 48" Deep Vee

It's the way I like to do it, but it's probably not the way most do it. Doug

ob one replied the topic: 48" Deep Vee

Thanks for the info
Owen

clueless123 replied the topic: Re: 48" Deep Vee

how do u mount the engine?

Ob two replied the topic: 48" Deep Vee

I can not believe it is over 2 years since I posted as ob one, time flies... I have completed my 48" vee and had lots of fun on the way. I have not found the funds for a IC engine so it remains a shelf model, but no the worse for it.

I have 'dressed' it as a 1970's offshore racer, as I was lucky enough as a child to attend numerous offshore events on the UK South Coast , especially round the Solent. These are the boats of my youth the Miss Embassy's, Unos's and Dry Martini.

Next up I am hoping to model some out drives, but a motor looks a long way off.

The build was challenging, with the hardest part being the forward end. This was partly caused by my plans. I printed them on to A4 and stuck them together. I believe this is where some errors crept in, because the Chines at the front end would not join up. I managed to bodge it and it looks ok. Could I suggest that plans have some reference marks say at 250mm (10") intervals, to enable A4 prints to be correctly lined up?

That said have really enjoyed the build and learnt along the way, so many thanks for putting the plans out there.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.