Chainsaw or Weed eater engine ?

dpg10 created the topic: Chainsaw or Weed eater engine ?

i have a 28 CC craftsman chainsaw and i also have a 28 CC ryobi weed eater. I dont know which engine would make for a better power source. I also dont kknow it they make a driveline attachment for the chainsaw. Do i remove the chainsaw clutch and modified it ? Please help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scott replied the topic: Re:Chainsaw or Weed eater engine ?

Check the engines output shaft rotation direction, you need CCW rotation.
Chainsaws are CW and not usable unless threw a gear box or direction reverse belt/gear with engine placed PTO forward.

2 stroke Engine Tech of 30+ years, Prop tweeker, Chronic tinkerholic, Home of Motor Heads RC Racing Engines ...
8 time NAMBA National 6 lap heat racing record holder.

ridgerunner replied the topic: Re:Chainsaw or Weed eater engine ?

Pics of your weedeater engine would help to see if it's one of the older ones with the carb and exhaust toward the back of it or a newer 30cc versions with the carb and exhaust on the side of the engine.Like the one in the pic below.Used to have a grey housing and kill switch was originally somewhere else.
Attachments:

road replied the topic: Re:Chainsaw or Weed eater engine ?

look under the magazine header for how to's tips on choosing a trimmer.
i wouldnt use a chain saw engine because set up is a pain , drive connection is difficult
engine rotation is wrong on most saws
ryobi is ok but use a newer version the 2 piece cranks and rods are weak and wont last long with the abuse it will get in a boat ,
best bet if you want to use a trimmer type engine is look for a newer homelite , stihl , mculla a newer ryobi 25cc - 30cc range
look for some of these options a rear pull start cord , a clutch , a carb with a choke and a primer bulb helps try to get atleast one complete trimmer with the shaft you will need the drive cable for the boat
i went to a local repair shop they sold me 4 complete homelite engines for $20
one was a trimmer the others were just engines. keep all the parts for later carbs mufflers pistons bolts everything.

the more research you do the more fun it will be in the end .

best luck
road

When looking for a Homelite engine to use in a boat ,steer away from the 26cc Mighty Lite trimmer.It has a bad reputation with owners and is classified by most of them as junk.It has the slanted crankcase.Also they are putting the same 26cc engine in a grey shrouded Ryobi and it also has the slanted backcase.Best to stay with the older Homelites or the 30cc 4 port Ryobi.

road replied the topic: Re:Chainsaw or Weed eater engine ?

good reply ridgerunner , i didnt know about the slant heads ...tks

also i forgot to mention if you use a homelite , talk to jim on jims boat dock aka
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

he is the homelite guru , he knows homelite enigines , nice guy too.
road

also :
i just dismantled an old 31cc craftsman to inspect it (same as a ryobi)
it will not be a good engine to use , the carb is on the front of the crank case, throttle linkage would be strange to set up , plus the exhaust is on the front aswel , this would make it hard to tune as it is in the way of the carb depending on the type of hull used.
it has a nice clutch though.... i think i will save it for a cheeeap drag boat.

I agree with you about Jim (chipbreakr) on JRCBD.I have one of his engines,a 25cc made into a full crank with full modifications.I have it in a 54" hull that I haven't run yet.I'm going to send him the red 30cc(below) to be modded.I have a new Zen 260 that I might send him to.I've had other Zenoahs in boats and a couple of Sikk 25.4,but for a play boat a Homelite is just right for me .I go around to yard sales and flea markets just looking for weedeaters.Found a local guy that has a shed full of parts for weedeaters,so if you ever need a part you can't find locally let me know.
Attachments:

dpg10 replied the topic: Re:Chainsaw or Weed eater engine ?

what brand of weed wacker is that? Also did u soldier copper pipe on to your exhaust?

The black one with the cannister exhaust is a newer style Ryobi 30cc 4 port engine .It used to have a grey plastic covering that I painted black.I used 1/2" copper elbow fitting and cut them at an angle,to direct the exhaust to the side.I most always had a oil speckled face and shirt when I started it.The red one is a stock Homelite 30cc,that I have to get modded.

Moofy07 replied the topic: Re:Chainsaw or Weed eater engine ?

Hi,
I do not know if Warehouse Hobbies still do Homelites, they were the GURUS
of Homelite. I am sure if you contact Tony he will surely put you straight, or put you in contact with someone who does know what their are doing.
Hope this helps.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.