Crankshaft measurement

smithi created the topic: Crankshaft measurement

Hi all...
Please help me understand how to identify and to measure the crank stroke of a crank that is not installed in a motor. Also there is no markings on crank.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hot Rods replied the topic: Crankshaft measurement

That appears to be a CY full circle stuffed crank. An easy way to tell the stroke is to use a caliper to measure from the edge of the rod big end pin ( nearest the shaft ) to the edge of the shaft diameter ( not on any radius at the counterweight ). If that measures .120", that is a stock 28mm. stroke. If it measures .140", that is +1mm ( 29 mm. ) stroke. If it measures .160", that is +2mm ( 30mm. ) stroke. These measurements are very close approximations, as it's difficult to tell the exact edge of the rod pin. The metric measurement would be 3, 3.5, and 4mm respectively.

Jd267 replied the topic: Crankshaft measurement

Can you explain this a little better I'm trying to figure the stroke of a tiger king crank I have that is either 28.6mm or 28.8mm , in my 290 with stock base gasket I have 15 thousandths . I don't think the crank is 28.6mm stroke

Hot Rods replied the topic: Crankshaft measurement

Using a dial caliper, measure from the outside of the shaft ( nearest the rod ) to the center point of the rod pin, and add 6mm ( half the shaft diameter = .2362" ). Take that total and multiply by 2. That is your stroke. "Inches" is more accurate, and can be converted to mm.

Time to create page: 0.411 seconds

Who's Online

TodayToday2468
YesterdayYesterday3494
Guests : 43
Now Online

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

Mailing List

captcha 
© 2015 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.