Metal Hull,

BrandonC created the topic: Metal Hull,

Hi,

If i get my fiber glass hulled mono going I'm thinking of going on to build a boat of my own from scratch. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever built a hull out of sheet metal of some kind and if so what is it like and how does it behave on the water?

Maybe this is a bit of a stupid question but I was just wondering if it is possible.

All the best,
Brandon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ozpulse replied the topic: Re: Metal Hull,

There have been hulls built from alloy sheet.
Not sure but 'Big als boats' or something like that have some?
Cant really remember the name. :unsure:

Awwwww! Your little engine is sooooo cute!

Craig Dickson replied the topic: Re: Metal Hull,

Hi Brandon

You have already shown within previous threads your composite mono hull that is aching for a blast on the water!

In my humble opinion I think you should get that on the water and see how you feel about it.

I suspect that you will be sufficiently impressed and excited to further want to develop your existing gas boat.

I would suggest one step at a time following testing and experience gained from that.
It will be possible to fabricate a metal hull. But why would you want to think about that when you’ve got a boat that is long overdue for its first run and still on its mounting stand?
Craig

Hi Brandon

Having got my Lynx gas powered boat pretty much as I want it, I’ve turned my efforts to a boat that I started building 20 years ago in wood from scratch.

And you think your boat has been idle for a long time? ;)
Why do you need a metal hull?

It is now time for me to finish this boat and get it on the water with a decent power plant...

Cheers
Craig
Attachments:

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Re: Metal Hull,

Guys are great at Big Al's
www.bigalboats.com/index.php?p=1_2_Boats

I'm working with Karsten (Bid Al's) working with them on a river boat (we use them here in north as jet powered work boats) kinda of a diff version of the smaller jet play boats there is a red one here -- has small block with supercharger - Jet drive - stainless bottom

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwPZIU4nBUUk1CG0xf3TnQ
Attachments:

What a fascinating response from Canadian Hot Rod!

It just goes to show what is possible in the world of model power boats.

Cheers
Craig

BrandonC replied the topic: Re: Metal Hull,

Hi Guys.

Craig,

I'm sure as soon as my current mono gets going I'm going to be busy running that one ever free minute I have. But there isn't much more I can do with it.

I'd like to make something bigger and more powerful, more of a pure racing boat than this one and was just wondering what the merits of more unusual materials are. Id probably end up making it out of Fiberglas or even carbon fiber as its not too expensive to get it here.

Canadian Hot Rod,

Do you have a metal hulled one? How do it behave in comparison to fiber glass hulls?

All the best,

Brandon

Canadian Hot Rod RC Boats replied the topic: Re: Metal Hull,

Craig
I should have added ......... another beautiful wood project from yourself, Your wood work is amazing. I'd like to see it when you get it finished..

I ran one 40" alum boat last year and while it was wickly fast - had issues with sliding in corners and hard to get CG right - you have to keep front end up or it submarines real fast

I'll try a new version of a 45" x 18" - alum hull kind of styled like Chris Craft run abouts and around 30% CG later this year

I'll post it and few other things when they are completed - ran the NO2 MHZ Drambuie boat on weekend - has great crowd appeal - huge potential --- will post video in couple weeks after more testing

Randy

Zoom Zoom .....
Toy Boats Toy Boats

Misty Creek Boats
www.youtube.com/channel/UCjwPZIU4nBUUk1CG0xf3TnQ

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.