Aeromarine Thunderbolt

eddiehonda created the topic: Aeromarine Thunderbolt

** This thread discusses the Content article: Aeromarine Thunderbolt **

Goood

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drinking Gas replied the topic: Re:Aeromarine Thunderbolt

Another fine detailed job by Marc .
He always gives you the ups and downs on a boat no matter what .
Thanks again Marc for another great review on this hobby of ours

manyhobbies replied the topic: Aeromarine Thunderbolt

Marc. Great build and nice layout of information with good pics. Good job.
Now, how fast is the thing? Thanks, RUSS

Second place is the first loser.

marc replied the topic: Re:Aeromarine Thunderbolt

LOL you know I never actually GPSed it! I know it's fast enough to win races! Maybe someday I will slap in the GPS and see...

Modelgasboats.com - Home of the WARPATH Riggers!

Follow Modelgasboats.com on FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE
"

50 stowe replied the topic: Re:Aeromarine Thunderbolt

your build sounds so good that one of the new guys in our club is following your build, with help from the senior guys, hope he has the same outcome. what motor specs should he give the engine builder,he will build any port timing combo that he wants, he has a c/y circle crank bottom end. the pipe he wants to use is a cone to cone aluminum pipe.

I don't know what specific numbers he should ask for, all builders do their motors differently. A hydro does require adequate torque because of its size and weight. Maybe more of a pipe choice with a good motor...what I mean is a pipe that will provide a fairly broad powerband might be the better choice. For example a pipe with a center band if going aluminum. Most of the steel pipes do fine without the band too though. There are several good pipes out there...most of which are showcased on this site. There is also the Redline Hot Pipe which I haven't put up yet, but it is another good one. Tell him to stick with a good reputable engine builder and he will know what do to for him. Again, some very good ones on this site. :)

"

50 stowe replied the topic: Re:Aeromarine Thunderbolt

i dont mean to step on any toes but we have a old timer in our club that loves to build motors and i was just trying to give him some new tricks. He already builds nasty motors for all of our guys, and untill we loose him to the two stroke gods he is our motor man. let me get you away from that topic so you dont have your sponsors mad at you, i was wondering why some hydros have there ruders mounted on the left side instead of the right on the transom.

No worries about the motor numbers, I just don't really know what is best in all instances. I know on the CC motors that I run the exhaust is somewhere between 182-183 and intake I believe is around 156...I could be off a bit, and maybe someone will correct me but that is the ballpark. I think most of the engine builders are somewhat close to those numbers with the exception of a few that are really high on ex timing. It is not a crime to discuss that here! Just don't want to give out false information. :)

The rudder on the left vs right thing is very debatable. One reason some chose to mount them on the left was that it would allow for the control linkage to be pulling rather than pushing during the turns...does away with having to strengthen or brace long linkages to eliminate bowing of the rods. Now with most of the hydros having radio boxes much closer to the transom we are seeing more and more mounting the rudders on the right. Linkages are much shorter and stiffer in this case. Also, a left mounted rudder will have a tendency to lift the port side sponson in a left turn scenario (left correction) or avoidance. This seems to be less the case with right side mounted rudders. Some say it's just and east coast / west coast thing! ;)

"

rocket ron replied the topic: Re:Aeromarine Thunderbolt

Marc,I'm new to boating,and have a Miss Elam 1/8 scale Hydro. I've replaced about everything in the hull,but it's still not performing the way I want. Would this boat be a good one for a "stock" or mid range modified motor? I'm not a racer,(not yet anyway :)and just want a good handling hydro to rip around the local lake. Thanks. Ron

The Tunderbolt? Absolutely. It is a very easy hull to push and get on plane. Great runner. It will run with a stock to full mod no problem. Just prop accordingly. If you go this route, I would suggest getting in touch with Brent at Propworks West . Tell him what motor you are using (stock of mid mod, whatever) and he will get you the correct prop.

"

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds

User Login

Mailbox

You are not logged in.

© 2017 Modelgasboats.com. All Rights Reserved.